Around this time of year, we like to see what product donations public libraries particularly like among the more than 400 offerings on TechSoup. We thought you might like to know what your colleagues like from our Nonprofit and Public Library Tech Marketplace.
Microsoft Office, Windows, and Server Products
Not surprisingly, Microsoft Office, Windows, and Windows Server are the products most requested by libraries. PCs with Windows still account for 90 percent of computers around the world, so no wonder Microsoft products remain so popular among public libraries, especially for their public access computers. The big change this past year has been the growing demand among libraries for Microsoft networking software like Windows Server, SQL Server, and Exchange Server. Here are the most popular Microsoft applications among libraries for 2017.
- Microsoft Office Standard for Windows is $29 per license.
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus for Windows is $40 per license.
- Office for Mac is $29 per license.
- Windows Pro Full Operating System is $9 per license.
- Windows 10 upgrade licenses are $16 each.
- Windows Server Standard is $9 per license, and user client access licenses are $3 per license.
- Windows SQL Server Standard Edition is $67 per license, and user client access licenses are $16 per license.
- Exchange Server Standard licenses are $53, and user client access licenses are $7 per license.
Symantec Security Software
Symantec security software is also very popular among libraries for protection against viruses, spyware, and other security risks on PCs, Macs, smartphones, and tablets. There are multiple versions of Symantec security software. TechSoup admin fees range from $4 per license for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business to $48 per year for 20 licenses of Norton Small Business.
Adobe of course makes industry standard software for graphic design for print, the web, and mobile devices. Creative Cloud is the flagship product suite. It is the top Adobe product for libraries. This flagship suite includes nearly all the Adobe applications everyone uses for graphic design, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, and many more. The full list of applications and services included is available on the Adobe website. TechSoup offers libraries 60 percent off Adobe's current rates for the first year and 40 percent off every year after. Here are the three most popular products in 2017.
- Creative Cloud is $19.99 per month plus a $5 admin fee.
- Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 is $55 per license.
- Photoshop Elements 2018 and Premiere Elements 2018 Bundle is $27 per license.
TechSoup Refurbished Computers
Warrantied refurbished laptops, desktops, and tablets from TechSoup's Refurbished Computer Initiative (RCI) have been popular in libraries for quite a while. They are especially useful for public-access computers because the RCI equipment is both low in cost and tough, being commercial grade.
Check out our posts Leaner Library Loaner Laptops and How Waukesha Library Revamped Its Public Access Computers to see how libraries are using this equipment. TechSoup admin fees for refurbished desktop computers start at $99 and for refurbished laptops at $275.
QuickBooks is our most popular accounting software. It helps libraries manage essential financial tasks like paying bills, creating invoices, producing reports, and tracking expenses, contributions, and payments. It became a top TechSoup product for libraries in 2017. These are the two most popular products.
- QuickBooks Premier Editions 2018 is $50 per license.
- QuickBooks Online Plus is $50 for a five-user, one-year subscription.
GrantStation became a new top TechSoup product for libraries in 2017. It is a is a web-based service for nonprofit organizations, charities, and public libraries with profiles on current grantmakers and step-by-step tutorials on how to secure available funding. Yearly memberships are usually $299, but look for our twice-yearly GrantStation promotions, when a membership is $99.
Mobile Beacon Hotspots
As reported in our Library Technology 2017 Year in Review (need URL), Wi-Fi hotspot lending among public libraries gained serious momentum this past year. See our recent How and Why Oakland Public Library Is Loaning Out Hotspots.
Mobile Beacon hotspots have become astonishingly popular among libraries. To date over 500 of our library members have requested Mobile Beacon hotspots from TechSoup. These affordable devices provide very portable 4G LTE broadband Wi-Fi Internet connectivity for patrons without home internet. They work anywhere that patrons can receive a Sprint signal.
- A single hotspot is available for an $18.00 admin fee.
- Ten are available for a $108 admin fee.
- Each hotspot requires a Mobile Beacon 4G LTE service plan at the current nonprofit pricing of $120 for 12 months of unlimited service.
What Are Your Most Requested Products?
We would love to hear what TechSoup donations you're finding most useful, and also what donations you'd like to see on TechSoup. Just tell us in the comment section below.