Our July newsletter was emailed out to subscribers this week with a brand new format! If you haven't signed up yet, you can view it online. Our monthly library spotlight is on Jerry Carbone, director at Brooks Memorial Library, who keeps his library's technology running smoothly using open source software, creative fundraising, and practical planning. Our product spotlight focus is on TechSoup Limited, which reduced administrative fees on products like Norton AntiVirus and Intuit QuickBooks. Answer two questions for this month's survey on the Public Access Technology Benchmark initiative, and if you’re lucky, win a prize!
This month we welcomed summer with a focus on being green, including online events such as Virtual Teams Tweetchat, 'Donate Your Brain' Tweetchats, and Virtual NetSquared Local, and pointed out a great article on how to green your laptop and cell phone batteries.
While thinking of green tips for libraries, I remembered a recent survey we conducted last February. A lot of great tips on green practices were shared by libraries across the country. Some that I found particularly useful include:
- Centralize IT management
- Order computers from TechSoup's Refurbished Computer Initiative (RCI)
- Use real dishes and silver rather than paper or plastic for staff and meetings
- Install efficient lights, conserve electricity, conduct energy audits
- Set electronics to "go to sleep," and turn off everything at night
- Utilize copiers with scan to pdf options to share docs and view a fax before printing
- Pay bills online to use less paper and avoid shipping costs
- Share meeting materials online and provide laptops at meetings
- Lend books and materials over and over and over...;-)
- Plant a library garden
- Use green cleaning products
- Install storm windows, insulation, and programmable thermostats
- Build a collection of resources about environmentally-friendly practices (DVDs, magazines, books, and Kill-a-Watt power meters)
- Place recycle bins everywhere in the library
- Use cloud computing, IM, and chat
- Have a magazine rack in the foyer to give away used magazines and newspapers
Thanks to everyone that contributed! Do you have anything to add to this list?